On Northland Drive N.W., from south of Crowchild Trail to 52 Avenue, The City is proposing dedicated bus/bike lanes. Installation of these new lanes is planned for the 2012 construction season. This dedicated lane, shared by Calgary Transit and cyclists, will be located on northbound and southbound Northland Drive N.W. These new bus/bike lanes will expand the cycling network through the Brentwood and Varsity area and connect cyclists to pathways on either end of Northland Drive N.W.:
- Bike lanes and on-street bike route on 37 Street
- Pathways on the east and west side of Northland Drive N.W., north of 52 Avenue
- On-street bike route on Brenner Drive
This project is currently seeking public feedback. Please call 3-1-1 if you have opinions or suggestions for the proposed Northland Drive N.W. bus/bike lanes.
Drawings and Designs
- Northland Drive N.W. Bus/Bike Lanes Route map - Connections between the new bike/bus lanes and the existing cycling network.
- Northland Drive N.W. Bus/Bike Lanes - Proposed Design - Proposed Northland Drive traffic, bike and bus lane designs.
- As part of these new bus/bike lanes, the intersection on the south side of the Northland Drive N.W. overpass at Crowchild Trail will undergo a six month trial for a three-way stop configuration (indicated by all signal lights flashing red). If the intersection operates safely and efficiently in this configuration, stop signs will permanently replace the traffic signals for the three directions of travel: pedestrians/cyclists entering from the south, motor vehicles entering from the west, and pedestrians/cyclists/motor vehicles entering from the north.
- One motor vehicle travel lane will be removed on northbound and southbound Northland Drive N.W. to accommodate the proposed bus/bike lanes. Due to the number of traffic lanes remaining and the low traffic levels, it is expected there will be minimal impact to traffic flow.
The proposed Northland Drive N.W. Bus/Bike Lanes were identified in the Brentwood Station Area Redevelopment Plan.