This thread is intended to consolidate ideas from the Guerrilla Bicycle Advocacy post - http://bikecalgary.org/?q=node/1209 - and try to get some suggestions on how to bring about, organize and promote a new type of social group ride in Calgary that will have an element of bike advocacy to it.
Guidelines for the ride:
The man intent behind the ride at the moment is:
- loosely organized with no specific person in charge per se but with a ride leader who will set the pace for the ride.
- advocacy based ride, cyclists ride legally in the right hand lane, not a critical mass ride where we become traffic. Intent is to have drivers who are stopped in traffic watch cyclist after cyclist pass by easily while they are stuck waiting.
- fun social aspect, meet up at beginning and ride together, end point at bar/pub or other social gathering place where people can mingle and exchange stories.
- banners and costumes welcome, unique bikes welcome
- aimed at riders of all levels, pace to be set so that riders of non-performance bikes will easily be able to keep up and enjoy the ride.
Please refer to the aforementioned post for background on this and then add your suggestions here. This thread is meant for all kinds of suggestions however here is a short questionnaire based on some points that came up in the other post. Please add your own answers.
The default name at the moment seems to be 'Crowbomb', a spin-off from the famous (infamous?) weekly ride in Portland - the Zoobomb - where hoards of cyclists on all sorts of crazy bikes bomb down a long hill past the city zoo. The discussion here turned towards doing a similar thing down Crowchild Trail, then spun off from there but the name stuck. Is it a good one, maybe something more general to cover all Calgary? Eg. Calbomb, Roundup Ride... suggestions?
Perhaps different routes could have different names? The Crowbomb, Downtown Dash, Airport Shuffle...
2. Routes and Meeting Places
Again, the initial idea was to do a ride on Crowchild, either from the North or the South, down to Memorial and then east over to Kensington or into downtown somewhere. Many other ideas then came up. Hoping to get some clear and simple descriptions of some other routes in this section, and vote for your favourite route if you see one. Eg. Crowchild at the evening rush hour and Memorial as well. I know 32 ave NE and McKnight are also backed up from 19th to Deerfoot many afternoons too.
Criteria for the route should be primarily that it is predictably backed up with traffic most days at certain times. Secondly include a suggestion for a meeting area to start the ride, a suggested start time, and a recommended finish point that is hopefully close to a place to eat, drink and tell stories. Rides to not have to be very long to be fun or to make a point!
The intent of this ride is definitely social, but also with bicycle advocacy in mind. Cool bikes and even costumes are great to attract attention. Also perhaps a banner or two.
'Biking is Fun' for example is pretty encouraging.
'One less car' makes a statement but might not be taken well by all.
'Free Exercise' maybe?
4. Other important ideas
Whatever you think is missing, just looking for input.