Bike Calgary directors will be meeting in the near future with Calgary Transit management to discuss the state of bike-transit integration in Calgary. (i.e. bikes on buses and C-Trains). We think it's great that CT is encouraging motorists to leave their cars at home and use their bikes instead, with help from CT to extend their ride at no effort, or get home if the weather turns sour after their ride to work.
The directors have been canvassing cyclists for their opinions, but now we'd like to throw it out to commuters on this forum for your input.
- Have you ever used, or tried to use, the bikes-on-buses program here in Calgary? Have you found the service to be reliable, or are there frequently racks missing from bus routes that should have them?
- If you've used the service, which route(s) have you used? The full list of routes available is here. Is it easy to use the CT website to determine which routes are bike-rack equipped? And, does CT appear to be encouraging cyclists to use this program?
- If you haven't used the bikes on buses program, why not? Is it because there is no equipped bus route near your commute route, or because you prefer to ride actively than passively? Or maybe it's the expense of the bus?
- If you like the idea of bikes on buses, but the existing routes don't suit you, what routes would you like to add to the existing rack-equipped ones?
- And, as for the C-Train, have you ever put your bike on the C-Train? How was the experience? Would you use it more often if the blackout period were reduced? Did you know that you can put up to 2 bikes into the end doors of each car? (so, 4-car trains can carry up to 8 bikes off-hours).
- Have you ever used the bike-lockers that are located at some C-Train stations? What did you like (or not) about that service?
- If you've used a bikes-on-buses program in another city, what was that like? What aspect of that program would you like to see adopted in Calgary?
- And lastly, have you ever carried a folding bike onto a bus, or the C-Train, with it hidden in a bag? Have you gotten any flack over that?
Here's hoping to hear from you in the next week, by February 20th at the latest. And say, if you haven't yet tried to put your bike on a bus or the C-Train, why not give it a try this week and then comment on your experience here?