The new bike lanes on 10 St NW have created a lot of controversy. Remember the words of Mia Birk: toughen up, take heart, and celebrate each and every success. The 10 St lanes are a success, and we should thank the City for it.
- Contact 311 and tell them that you like the bike lanes on 10 St, and want more of them. Call 311 on the phone, email 3-1-1ContactUs@calgary.ca, or fill out the online form. It'll only take a couple of minutes but will have a huge impact.
- Write to the mayor and your alderman, and to the Alderman of Ward 7, Druh Farrell. See here for contact info.
- Use social media: tweet your support, make "Love the bike lanes on 10 St NW" your status on facebook. Use the #yycbike hashtag, and include @nenshi and @cityofcalgary in your tweets.
- Engage the media. The Herald, Sun, Metro, CBC, have all run stories, and they allow user comments. Don't be discouraged or insulted by the naysayers, just add your voice. And remember: be positive! Let's not alienate the driving majority, but tell them why better bike infrastructure is a good thing for all of us.
- The City has a blog post about it up and invites comments; the Herald has a poll -- vote for the lanes!
- You may refer to bikecalgary.org/bikeplan for some ideas.
Bike Calgary sent a press release out last night which you might refer or link to as well.