By now many of you will know that a provincial election is expected to be called today. With cycling numbers growing faster than bicycle infrastructure improvements, it got me thinking, which parties and candidates are the best ones to vote for?
Some of the cycling issues that span the province -
- more education of new drivers to the rights and responsibility of bicycles on the roadways
- more enforcement of bad drivers and bad cyclists
- coordination of bicycle advocacy efforts province wide
- funding of bicycle connectivity between the big cities and their satellite towns/villages
- creation of a "green route" of off street pathways across the province (similar to Quebec's Route Verte. Ontario is considering it too)
- many more I am sure, what did I miss?
OpenFile Calgary has created a map of the Calgary ridings with links to the candidates web/FB/Twitter...
...and I published a blog post a few weeks back about this...
I am planning on asking the candidates in my riding (as well as BikeBike's riding) where they stand on a few key cycling issues. If we all did the same we could start to get the conversation going amongst the candidates and parties.
What do you think?