Between 1 Avenue S.W. and 8 Avenue S.W., The City is planning to install one on-street bike lane on northbound 6 Street and one on-street bike lane on southbound 7 Street during the 2012 construction season. The on-street bike lanes are a direct north-south connection between Centre City and the Bow River pathways/Peace Bridge.
The two new routes provide an opportunity for a good start to build a bikeway network in the Centre City. The on-street bike lanes will expand and connect to the cycling network in the Centre City area:
- Bow River pathways
- 8 Avenue S.W. bike route
- Future 3 Avenue S.W. on-street bike route
A public information session is scheduled for Wednesday, June 13, from 4-7 p.m. at the Mewata Armoury (801, 11 Street S.W.). At the information session, you can see the proposed on-street bike lanes and provide feedback on the bike lane options.
Drawings and Design
- 6 and 7 Street S.W. on-street bike lanes Route map – Connections between the proposed on-street bike lanes and existing cycling network.
- During the week of June 11, you can view the designs and drawings, which will be on display at the public information session, here on the project web page.
- Provide a dedicated space that increases the comfort level of cyclists and encourages more people to cycle.
- Install the on-street bike lanes within the existing road curbs by painting new traffic lines and install signs. Motor vehicle traffic lanes may be modified based on the preliminary design review.
- Remove less than 14 of the 183 on-street parking stalls on 6 Street S.W. and 7 Street S.W. to make room for the on-street bike lanes.
- Propose a bus-only lane on southbound 7 Street S.W. between 5 Avenue and 7 Avenue.
- Review all traffic signal timing at each of the intersections and make changes so all modes of travel move through the area as efficiently as possible once the on-street bike lanes are installed.