Days are getting shorter. If you're out in the evenings on your bicycle, you're already riding in the dark. And in a few weeks, you might even be riding in the dark on your way to and from work or school.
Having a white front light and a red rear light is not only required by law if you ride at night, it is also the single most effective piece of safety equipment you can buy. It makes you more visible, and hence less likely to be in a collision. A full quarter of all collisions happens at night!
Lights are a must not only if you ride on city streets, but also on pathways. If others can't see you, they can't make way for you, and they might step or steer into your way. And a pothole or tree root bump is more easily avoided if you can see it.
So, get a good set of lights. They're not expensive, and they may literally save your life.
Through September, the following local bike shops have agreed to extend a 15% discount on all lights in stock:
- Bike Bike (1701A 17 Ave SW, Centre City, during back to school sale until Septeber 15, 25% off)
- Bike Bros (122 4 Ave W, Cochrane)
- Bow Cycle (6501 Bowness Rd NW, Bowness)
- B & P Cycle (1717 52 St SE, Forest Lawn)
- Cactus Bike and Ski (9827B Horton Road SW, Southland)
- Eurotech Cycles (789 Northmount Drive NW, Collingwood)
- Lifesport (1110 Gladstone Rd NW, Kensington)
- Mechanahands Service Shop (Tuxedo Park, call for appt.)
- Pedalhead (12100 MacLeod Tr. SE, Avenida Place)
- Power in Motion (Eau Claire Market, Power in Motion brand lights are 20% off)
While you're there, also ask for some extra reflectors (spokes, pedals, front and back) for a bit of extra visibility. Retroreflective stickers are also a good way to make you and your bike more visible in the dark.
In addition, our partner bike shops in the Friends program offer 15% off all accessories to customers with a Friends of Bike Calgary card! That includes the Cyclepath, and Speed Theory, in addition to Bike Bike, Bow Cycle, Eurotech Cycles, and Power in Motion.