Annual YYC Bike Awards & Celebration
Bike Calgary’s mission is to make Calgary a great place for all bikers – present and future – through advocacy, education and community. As part of this mission, Bike Calgary celebrates our cycling community’s leaders and champions in September of each year. These are the people and businesses who encourage cycling in Calgary and help to make Calgary a more bike friendly city.
Each year, we put out a call for nominations from our cycling community for the people and businesses that champion cycling in our City. The four categories for nominations are:
- The Lawrence Hong Advocacy Award – This award is presented in Lawrence Hong’s memory to an individual or organization that has gone above and beyond to promote cycling in Calgary. Lawrence was a tireless advocate for all modes of transportation, and volunteered with Calgary Car Share, Arusha Open Streets, Bike Calgary, Cyclepalooza and countless others. While our time with Lawrence was cut short, this award honours his memory and the commitment he had to building a diverse transportation culture in our City.
- Commuter of the Year – This award is presented to an individual whose determination and dedication to using bikes as a mode of transportation serves as an inspiration to others. This award is dedicated to the cycling role model who continually puts one pedal forward.
- Business of the Year – This award is presented to a local business that has made an exceptional effort to make their business and business practices more bike friendly. This can include making it easy for customers arriving by bike, using cycling messengers, offering pool bikes for staff, hosting bike skills classes, providing safe bike parking and shower facilities, participating in Bike to Work Day and Commuter Challenge, and promoting and supporting cycling events.
- School of the Year – This award is presented to a school that promotes cycling amongst its staff and its students. This can include bike education, promoting healthy transportation choices and designating bike facilities and storage.
We continue celebrating our cycling community with our celebration party after the awards ceremony. This is also Bike Calgary’s main fundraising event of the year, with all funds raised going to our operational costs. Our cycling community gets together to visit, enjoy local food and beverages and have a great time.
YYC Bike Award Recipients
Commuter of the Year - Kevin Schlauch
Business of the Year - Brookfield Developments
School of the Year - Langevin Science School
Commuter of the Year - Kim Fisher & Kayley Fesko (Commit to Commute)
Business of the Year - Two Wheel View
Employer of the Year (50+ employees) - University of Calgary & MEC
Employer of the Year (<50 employees) - Sidewalk Citizen
School of the Year - Simon Fraser School & Sacred Heart School
Commuter of the Year - David Coldwell
Business of the Year - Momentum Calgary
Employer of the Year - City of Calgary
School of the Year - Westmount Charter School
How You Can Help
- Volunteer to help make this event great.
- Nominate cyclists and cycling advocates in your community to receive an award. (form coming soon)
- Attend the event and celebrate a great year in cycling with your fellow cycling citizens!