Open House [PAST]
Date: Thursday, October 24, 2019
Time: 7-9 p.m. (Drop-in)
Location:The Best Western Village Park Inn
No RSVP Required
If you are unable to join in-person at the above event, you can provide your feedback online via a link the following link that will be active from October 24 – November 8: https://engage.calgary.ca/banfftrailareaimprovements
The City of Calgary is hosting a Public Open House TONIGHT [PAST] to present and get feedback on the Banff Trail Improvement project. Our cycling community presence is important as there are major connection and infrastructure improvements that will improve east/west connections.
The major improvements to pedestrian and cycling infrastructure include the following:
Connections to and from Foothills Medical Centre Campus via 16th Ave NW
- Adding a pedestrian ramp to the pedestrian bridge east of Banff Trail N.W. on the north side of 16th Avenue N.W., painting the handrails, and replacing / relocating the existing staircase.
- Relocating a westbound Calgary Transit bus stop on 16th Avenue N.W. from east of the Banff Trail pedestrian bridge to west of Banff Trail N.W.
- Improvements to accommodate a continuous multi-use pathway from 19th Street N.W. to Banff Trail N.W. (on the north side of 16th Avenue N.W.) to link to the new pathway from Banff Trail to Crowchild Trail
- Inclusion of a contra-flow bike lane on 16th Avenue Residential Road (south of the noise wall)
- Adding new Calgary Transit bus stops (in both directions) on the east side of Crowchild Trail on 16th Avenue N.W.
- Building a ‘Complete Street’ along Banff Trail N.W. (from 16th Avenue N.W. to 23 Avenue N.W.)
Connections to and from the University of Calgary, Banff Trail, the Confederation Park Green-Way, and the 10th St NW bike lane via the 24th Ave NW corridor improvements
- Making improvements for people who walk, cycle, along 24th Avenue N.W. (from Crowchild Trail N.W. to 14th Street N.W.)
- Resurfacing the road along 24th Avenue N.W. (from Crowchild Trail N.W. to 14th Street N.W.)
- 24th Avenue & 14th Street N.W. – building a new Confederation Park pathway connection that includes an at-grade crossing across 14th Street N.W. while keeping the existing underpass.
(Pedestrian /cycling related bullets extracted from City of Calgary project site: https://www.calgary.ca/Transportation/TI/Pages/Road-projects/Banff-Trail-area-improvements.aspx# )
This work will improve connections while making it easier and safer for Calgarians to get around, and Bike Calgary wants to back the City as they build out this project.
Attend tonight, or in online feedback to show your support. Bike Calgary is very excited to see these improvements and connections to our network.