With a new year approaching we have much to hope for, drawing on what we have seen, mostly in 2020, this is a time for change and progression, which needs to focus on moulding our futures for the better.
Bike Calgary would like to therefore take a moment to reflect on where we are going and what a 2021 wish list could look like for us;
- A funded 5A Network (Always Available for All Ages and Abilities.), This could be delivered through phases and projects, which we hope would primarily look to connect the orphaned pathways, isolated communities and our education facilities.
- We wish for the successful completion of the pilot scheme of our Ride to School program at E.P Scarlett High School. We look forward to acquiring the funding required to take the program to more High Schools in Calgary.
- We hope to have Infrastructure rides with the current Councilors and those seeking election in 2021.
- Work with the City of Calgary to make intersections and infrastructure upgrade solutions for future projects safer for Calgarians.
- We hope to see the scooters stay all year round. It’s also the only way a cyclist will know they are probably doing 20km/h or more!
- Continue to show the City of Calgary and our elected officials that the increase in cyclists from the 469% in 2020 needs to be taken as a message of progressive growth, not just a fashionable blip. This is a way to attract business and grow the city in a sustainable way.
- A big success in 2020 was our Ride to Remembrance with our Veteran, Tegh Singh. We hope to grow on this success in coming years by continuing that ride event, but as a group ride. Led by veterans from our communities, we can help raise funds and awareness to charities such as the VTN and Field of Crosses provides awareness to the great work done to help our veterans.
- We hope to continue to advocate for diverse equitable active mobility and transportation options, like bicycles, to move people around our city and all its communities.
- See an uptick in cargo bikes and eBike use.
- We hope that all Calgarians will continue to be courteous, friendly and mindful of others when sharing the pathways with scooters, walkers, runners and adaptive modes of transport.
- See plans for a connected pathway system that considers volume and type of use. Put speed segregation pathways in place where congested commuter or recreational routes require it please YYC!
- Social events please…….. we miss them…… and a chance to meet up with groups, members, volunteers and Calgarians!
Bike Calgary is presently in the process of strategic planning for the next several years. It is with this new future that we seek to evolve and continue to meet our mission of making cycling better in Calgary.
We invite each of you to also comment on your wishes for the coming year and what’s on your wish list for Cycling in 2021?
What role do you see Bike Calgary taking in making those wishes come true?