How was your ride today? Month of MARCH 2019

This topic contains 25 replies, has 11 voices, and was last updated by  kerryv 4 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
  • Author

Gary Millard
    Keymaster

The start of winter was so mild, and then we got hit with all of winter through the entirety of February. March didn’t have a very nice start, but hopefully it will become more like a normal late winter. At least the consistent cold means the pathways haven’t gotten icy! And, now -10 C feel balmy.

JoDonovan
    Participant

Auuughhh! I hope real spring will come soon. It’s just so uneasy to ride the bike on such streets. Thanks God there are some effective and simple techniques that can help you keep riding in any extreme weather conditions http://bestadviser.net/how-to/how-to-keep-riding-in-wet-and-cold-conditions/ Be careful and hope we’ll have an ooportunity to enjoy good weather soon.

crivak
    Participant

Ask and ye shall receive! The warm weather is coming!

winterrider
    Participant

Icy in spots….

Even with studded tires, I thought I might go down in one spot, and I had the rear wheel spinning freely on the ice for another moment.

Hopefully the big melt is over by Monday morning. If not then, then looking at the 7 day forecast it should definitely be done by mid week.

Bring on the sunshine!!!

gyrospanner
    Participant

Marine Weather Forecast –

There was a HUGE flooded section on the pathway in lower Bowmont Park because the new stormwater settling pond overflowed. Conditions after the temperature rises probably won’t improve, so I’m taking the high road through Varsity on the way home tonight, and probably for the rest of the week.

WestClimbs
    Participant

Anyone been up Quarry trail by Shaganappi golf course recently? I see a bit of strava traffic kicking back up there again. Wondering whether it’s fit for a cyclocross bike even if I have to walk a few sections.

uphill-both-ways
    Participant

I tried it last week, but it was too mushy for my liking; turned around and headed up to 24th street.

With the paved path up to 12th Ave doing reasonable imitation of a set of class 1 water rapids this afternoon, it will be full ‘glacier mode’ in the morning if it freezes!

WestClimbs
    Participant

My first commute this year, the paved pathway downhill by the golf course was pretty dicey this morning, even on foot. Hopefully another few days of this weather and we’ll have bare pavement and Quarry will be back in action.

uphill-both-ways
    Participant

from this morning …

icy path near Shag Golf course, N of 24th St SW

crivak
    Participant

Oof! Surprised it’s freezing when even during the night we’re not below 0… Where is that one at? Image is small to tell.

Gyrospanner, are there photo’s of the Bowmont pond somewhere? That’s an important area to keep an eye on and provide feedback for since it was recently redone. The way the pond affects the pathway at various times of the year is something we should comment on.

Maybe some photos from someone on twitter or strava? Will take a look later.

uphill-both-ways
    Participant

this is the paved pathway (looking N-downhill) along the E side of Shag golf course, connecting 24 ST SW to the railway crossing (200 m W of Crowchild trail).

Sorry about the image size; seems to default to this. Hints welcomed to provide a better consumer experience . thx.

gyrospanner
    Participant

Bowmont can be interesting in the spring, sort of like the picture above, in that it provides both water hazards and luge tracks!!!

The water hazard I mentioned earlier is gone now, just a short 15 foot puddle, not too deep, so No Picture….

Thinking about using the summer bike tomorrow.

gyrospanner
    Participant

I did it, I let the summer bike out of the stable. ANNDD, was pleasantly surprised to see that a lot of the ice and puddles had disappeared even since last night, WOOHOO! Too bad I’m going skiing next week, I think I might be missing a lot of nice riding…..

• This reply was modified 4 months, 3 weeks ago by  gyrospanner.

gyrospanner
    Participant

With the good comes the bad.

They finally turned on the new traffic lights at Sien Lok Park (Riverbend Ave. and 1st Street SW) yesterday. Going home (heading north) last night was good, and I was actually kinda’ pleased that they were there, even though I had to stop and wait, because I felt safer as I didn’t have to contend with the usual traffic BS that occurs there. Things like people blocking the crosswalk & intersection and people passing on the right (IN A PLAYGROUND ZONE!!!). However, coming in (heading south) this morning was not as pleasant, I got squeezed into the middle of the road by a guy who was heading east then turned south, YIKES! Not really sure what the answer is here? Maybe there should be a “no right turn on red” sign there to protect the high number of cyclists that use that ingress point?

2wheeler
    Participant

Agreed about the “no right on Red”. Cars are in wayyyy too much of a hurry and don’t bother looking.

Does anyone dare changing out winter for summer tires?

• This reply was modified 4 months, 3 weeks ago by  2wheeler.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.