Bylaws for bicycle parking

This topic contains 6 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  gyrospanner 1 week, 5 days ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

dychilds
    Participant

Are there requirements or guidelines for businesses to have parking for bikes? There’s good city built stands in downtown/kensington/beltline but riding to the local 7/11 or strip-mall there’s often nothing to lock your bike to. Example: look at all the car parking and not one measly stand.

https://www.google.ca/maps/@51.073763,-114.0715314,3a,60y,276.94h,84.11t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sH46pzxwi5LTGnDGU54on5w!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

crivak
    Participant

I’m not exactly sure about a bylaw, but this page would probably describe what is required. It also links to where you can request a bike rack (the 311 service request at the bottom). The last time I requested a rack for an area like this though they told me I needed to contact the owner of the strip mall. Worth a shot though to see what they say. I think if there’s no parking at all then they might be obligated to put in something? If they say this it might be a good idea to give them an idea of what to get, or to contact the city for their official ones, so they don’t get one of those super crappy unbolted racks.

https://www.calgary.ca/Transportation/TP/Pages/Cycling/Bicycle-Parking/Installing-bike-racks.aspx?redirect=/transportation/tp/pages/cycling/bicycle-parking/bicycle-parking.aspx

dychilds
    Participant

Thank you, very helpful

mecheic
    Participant

Hey Crivak, you’re right they do same with me…

gyrospanner
    Participant

I have found that there are some places that really should have racks that don’t have them and then it’s a really weird exercise to find something to lock your bike to. It’s a nuisance. In the past I’ve locked my bike to emergency generators, trees, gas meters, stair railings, statues, sign posts and derelict equipment. Kinda’ difficult when you’re trying to do it with a small U-lock. One time, I was locking my bike to a Muster Point sign in the middle of a garden (really?) out in an industrial park and the manager of the business came running out while he was TOTALLY FREAKING OUT about it, like I was harming something? He told me I could take my bike into the foyer of their office but when I was rolling my bike through the door his staff began TOTALLY FREAKING OUT (The Haters! The Haters!).

The good news is that there is a spot at the bottom of the link that Crivak posted where you can request a bike rack. What I’d like to see is a few more bike repair stations installed around the city (like at the Co-op liquor store on 11th street or in front of the Oak Tree Tavern on 10th street). Anybody know of any others in the City? That would be useful info, maybe a map on this website would be useful.

crivak
    Participant

Steam Whistle lists repair stations at these addresses:

Coop Wine Spirits Beer; 1003-11th Street SW, Calgary AB
    Home & Away Calgary Kitchen; 1331 17th Ave SW, Calgary, AB
    Two Wheel View; #101, 1725 10th Ave SW, Calgary, AB

Alforno at 222 7 St SW has free air. Don’t know about repair station.
    There is also free air and a repair station at the Tourmaline Outdoor Fitness Park next to Angel’s Cafe in Edworthy Park.
    Most bike shops will also have a repair station. Bowcycle for sure.

The Dero Fixit at Tourmaline Fitness Park. This was installed by Calgary Parks Foundation. Apparently there is another one along 10th Avenue S.W somewhere but I don’t know where exactly.

Take a look at how many repair stations these folks have setup in Toronto:

Bicycle Fixit Stations

Here’s another Toronto group:

Repair Stations

gyrospanner
    Participant

Well that’s a great list. Thanks for posting! I think Steamwhistle forgot that they had one on tenth (Oak Tree Tavern).

https://www.google.ca/maps/@51.0528926,-114.0858794,3a,55.4y,115.34h,101.79t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1s6LSnkvHC32sIPW5xE9r2vQ!2e0!6s%2F%2Fgeo0.ggpht.com%2Fcbk%3Fpanoid%3D6LSnkvHC32sIPW5xE9r2vQ%26output%3Dthumbnail%26cb_client%3Dmaps_sv.tactile.gps%26thumb%3D2%26w%3D203%26h%3D100%26yaw%3D341.8085%26pitch%3D0%26thumbfov%3D100!7i13312!8i6656

The funny thing is that I ride by Angel’s twice a day and quite often ride by Two Wheel View (maybe once a week) and never noticed those stations!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.