12 Avenue Cycle Track Closure @ 9th St to 8th Street

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  WestClimbs 4 days, 22 hours ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

WestClimbs
    Participant

Was disappointed at the lack of both notices posted as well as the ‘Detour’ being cyclists dismount and use sidewalk. No information was posted about the closure, when I asked a worker he told me it would be about 2 weeks. Heading eastbound you have the option of joining the slow road traffic, but the westbound ride really gave no option when hitting the abrupt closure, I saw a lot of cyclists riding the sidewalk unfortunately for the lack of options.

2wheeler
    Participant

I agree that it’s a poor attempt by the City in the event of a closure of the bike lanes. They don’t seem to value the bike lanes if they just close them without a viable cycling option. I had the same experience when they shut down the pathway by Repsol for high water. There is simply no option for cycling. It shows that the City still thinks of cycling as a luxury and not used by serious people trying to get places.

FYI City of Calgary- walking with your bike for several blocks is not a viable option when cycling!

WestClimbs
    Participant

Yep, no reply on my 311 request from last week and then this morning it was closed up to Safeway between 7th and 8th. There was a detour sign eastbound that just points to the road, but not even a yield sign and no cars letting in a group of us that were waiting to merge in. I’m not really comfortable mixing with traffic, but if I’m forced to do it I’d rather do it on 10th Avenue so I think that’s my new route unfortunately.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.