2nd Street New Concepts and Feedback

This topic contains 5 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  2wheeler 1 month, 1 week ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Chealion
    Participant

https://engage.calgary.ca/2nd-street-complete-street-project?redirect=/2ndstreet

New concept has 2nd St. turned into a 1 way going northbound with a separated 2 way cycle track on the western side of the road.

2wheeler
    Participant

Damn! I can’t believe they want to bring back a one way street to 2nd street. We had that 10 years ago and it blew! Also putting the bike lanes on the West side of the street will create way too many dangerous alley crossings. The East side of the street has much less traffic merging onto 2nd street because of the schools, Hospital, parks and River. I really don’t understand the thought process.

2wheeler
    Participant

Putting the bike lane on the West side of the street means that there are 10 additional road crossing of the bike. That’s nearly double the amount of car/bike interactions. With the increased number of high-rises on the West side is much busier, not to mention the traffic coming and going from 4th street. The East side of the street sees much less traffic crossings (only 13 compared with 23 on the West).

People drive too fast on one-way streets. They should keep two way and post a 30km/hr speed limits along the entire route. Get everybody to chill out so that the route isn’t used as a thoroughfare in the morning rush.

2wheeler
    Participant

Also putting the bike lane on the East side of the street would improve traffic flow at the 26th Ave intersection, as most vehicles turn Northbound onto 2nd Street. Cyclists could cross the street at the proposed 4 way stop as cars turn onto 2nd street. The same applies if they maintain a two-way street for cars travelling South and turning Westbound onto 26th Ave.

This is the same case at the intersection of 21st Ave. Many cyclists will want to connect with the Elbow River Pathway by turning East on 21st, near the Repsol Centre.

ICE_Trike_1
    Participant

Good points 2wheeler. I’d be rich if I had a $1 every time a car driving across 2nd St through a stop sign didn’t see me, my neon jacket, or light. I’ve had several close calls.

Let’s make sure we all leave feedback on the project’s website.

2wheeler
    Participant

It seems like lots of bike people are using Twitter now. I tried it but it’s not for me. Is anyone able to communicate this survey across twitter? Sean @bikebike is great for that kind of stuff… just haven’t seen him around these parts for a while.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.