How was your ride today? Month of April 2019

This topic contains 21 replies, has 12 voices, and was last updated by  RichieRich 1 month, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • Author

kerryv
    Participant

Creating a new thread so the Western Waterworks Canal thread doesn’t become the April thread… 🙂

3/5 days on the cyclocross bike this week, the other 2 days on the e-bike.

Great weather and looks great for the foreseeable future. Looking forward to having the rocks off the road next week!

bike-run
    Participant

yeah, now the snow is off the road the gravel is more noticeable…

WestClimbs
    Participant

Quarry Road trail is in good shape, kudos to the improvement work they did on it year before last, definitely not as sloppy as it was a few years ago.

2wheeler
    Participant

I made the leap! Put on the summer tires today, pumped them up to 60 psi and am ready to rumble! I realize that it might snow again, but they’ve begun to sweep the pathways I ride so I’m taking the plunge.

RichieRich
    Participant

Yep Quarry Road trail didn’t have any moisture on it now… some tackier areas but nothing sticking. So nice and fast on the way up.

Also noticing a lot more bikers on the paths, more bikes in the racks, and a lot more dazed-and-confuzzed riders out there, and also pedestrians both of whom wonder around like lost sheep in every lane and direction. Sigh…. We all know 20km/hr is the “speed limit” however just a note to keep it slow in the slow areas like Eau Claire, areas with less visibility, areas with gravel, and high risk locations. Another riding buddy said he saw some of the MUP “police” handing out “awards”. Of course to cyclists only.

gyrospanner
    Participant

Too bad the Bylaw Boyz never saw the guy on the e-Trike that buzzed by me at over 50 kmh this morning! YIKES!

winterrider
    Participant

Not sure whose fault all that snow was. I know 2wheeler hung up the winter tires, but I was planning to bring out my summer bike for today’s ride (would have been the first commute on it this year).

Had a nice ride in on the studs anyway. No ice anywhere (a bit of snow left in shaded spots though).

Unfortunately, not enough moisture yet to dissolve the piles of salt left on the MUPS in some places (presumably left when a plow/salting truck stopped in one spot).

gyrospanner
    Participant

I know whose fault it was – I saw the first crocuses on the hill in Bowmont Park the other day and that is usually a signal for MORE SNOW!

RichieRich
    Participant

OH OH the “seasonal riders” are coming out with their noisy bikes and clueless riding. Oh them and the Zwifters who attempt time trial/intervals riding through busy areas.

Cindy
    Participant

Has the crossing Under the Crowchild road opened up yet? I hat having to ride up to 14 St only to ride the MUP west back to FMC

RichieRich
    Participant

oh Gosh Cindy… Crowchild MUP has been open since mid-winter. In pretty good condition regardless of whether you’re approaching from north or south sides.

winterrider
    Participant

Woot Woot! Finally rode in on the summer bike. I felt silent like a ninja (no studs), and fast, oh so wonderfully fast.

crivak
    Participant

After a stint of not riding, I carried up the little single speed from it’s basement resting spot, pumped up its bald skinny tires and went out and about the neighbourhood before visiting a polling station.

It kicked my butt. Literally. Shocked how fast it gets away from you. Was on a main street with a ton of mid-afternoon traffic, carrying my ulock on my bars since it was to be a short ride (my holster froze and shattered), and just that little span at 30kmh took my breath away. Looks like I’ll have to dig out the chamois and built those lungs back up! Maybe take up the trombone for a while. Ha.

Ah, watch out for the gravel for sure. Was on a side street with residential parking along both sides and I couldn’t find a great way to let a vehicle behind me pass as the gravel was all the way to the middle of the road. We were going the same way for a number of turns so I finally slowed down and just rode the gravel to give them an opportunity before they got angsty.

gyrospanner
    Participant

BSNYC is funny today. His lead-in to his new article in Outside will definitely lead you in.

“Seems to me that driving a car and hating cyclists instead of other drivers is like taking a crap in a burning house and complaining about which way someone hung the toilet paper.”

https://www.outsideonline.com/2393742/how-do-drivers-not-see-theyre-worst

matt4x4
    Participant

I ride every single day of the year, its always great to ride, even when its very cold out with lots of snow. I just need to find a bicycle frame builder who can fix my bike, if anyone knows of one, that would be great. Fix rear of my bike and fix the fork.

Thanks

I noticed the new multi-billion dollar hospital and area has no bike lanes at all, yet ultra wide sidewalks, with 2 sets of sidewalks on either side of the road, with tree’s. Also the multi-billion dollar hospital has useless bike racks with a measley 2 bolts to secure your multi-thousand dollar bicycle. Construction of the ring road, the contractors have no respect for sidewalk users with mounds of dirt over the sidewalk. The new road past 22X from Silverado to Macleod is a good ride, pathway on either side, even a pathway at the train tracks, circles around to a boarded up wall, I laughed when I saw that. City designers are useless, because even at that new road, southside from East (McD’s) to Westside, get stuck half way with 6 lanes to still cross. Total safety hazard, imagine a family or elderly crossing, there is an old age home right there. Safety is not a concern at City Hall.

• This reply was modified 1 month, 3 weeks ago by  matt4x4.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.