How was your ride today? Sept 2019

This topic contains 16 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  RichieRich 4 hours, 47 minutes ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author

RichieRich
    Participant

ok so a few days early for the new Forum… why not? We missed July & Aug. At this rate the next one should be title “How was your ride… Q4 2019”??

Anyways… dying days of August… MUP bike path traffic already down quite a bit. Scooter traffic up several thousand percent. Lime bike users… MIA?

Time for folks to get onto their fall bike-lights regime… test those batteries, replace, order new off Amazon/Alibaba/MEC/LBS.

Glad our building management FINALLY decided to remove 4 obviously-forgotten about bikes. They’ve been there 2 years with only 2 locked up. Dust buildup, flat tires, and they got about 4 notices stuck on them. All this in a locked bike cage with card access. One was a real nice singlespeed with belt-drive. What happens that people forget about their ride? hmmmmm

WestClimbs
    Participant

Been a good year for commuting weather. Quarry trail is degrading I’ve noticed. I caught a rut last week and bit it fairly hard, this morning I noticed the weekend rain took its toll again, I think I will have to call it out of bounds for my bike with skinny-ish tires (32s). Not sure if it’s worth calling in to the city at this point in the year.

RichieRich
    Participant

Today a coworker and myself observed a Lime bike, in a relatively high foot traffic area, that stayed there for pretty much the whole day. However several of the scooters came and went. It led him to theorize that the Lime bikes have now effectively gone the way of the Beta and CD, having been replaced by a more accessible and user-friendlier (and possibly funner) technology. I wonder if the winter will make any difference. What do all ya’ll figure?

Gary Millard
    Keymaster

I still see a few Lime bike users, and my opinion (untested as of yet) is that when the novelty of the Lime scooters wears off, people will appreciate the ease and functionality of the Lime bikes. I see that a lot of users will continue to use the scooters, as they work very well for micro-mobility in some parts of the city. However, I think we will see a slight return to the Lime bikes. I hope we generally see increased comfort and use of both!

crivak
    Participant

New crossing at the (greatly) needed Parkdale Blvd/Kensington Road intersection.

Happy to see it pop up the past few days and in heavy use.

Gary Millard
    Keymaster

It is certainly nice to the (slow) steady improvements in active transportation in the city. Remember let your Councillor know that you like these improvements, and what you’d like to see next.

RichieRich
    Participant

First spotting (…er and hearing) of studded tires today.
    16 Sept 2019.
    No snow/ice yet, nor in sight.

winterrider
    Participant

You must have missed me last week then, I had the studs out during the rainy days. The reason is that my winter bike has fenders (and studded tires) and it was easier to grab in the morning than my other fendered bikes for a short ride into work.

But maybe this person was seating their studs before the snow flies, they say you’re supposed to do like 50km on dry pavement before the snow and ice arrives.

WestClimbs
    Participant

It looks like the 12 Ave cycle track extension westward made big progress seemingly overnight – I’m sure I would have noticed it yesterday. Anyone happen to know if it is open, and for how far? All the way past 14th st? I may try it out on the ride home.

crivak
    Participant

I should probably be thinking about studded tires for the new bike. Thought I might swap back to the normal winter bike but I can’t imagine giving up the pedelec quality of life anymore. Running some Big Apples right now and the ride feels like a jackhammer sometimes though. Not sure how a swap to something like the marathon winters will be, even at 40mm or whatever they reach to now. Any suggestions? Pretty sure I still have some time/weeks to think about it before needing to get them in on pavement to set.

I guess a tire size might help here, huh. I’m not sure actually. Company site lists 55-559 big bens. So assuming some sort of 26. Will have to look on the sidewall tomorrow morning.

winterrider
    Participant

12th Ave Cycle track was still under construction this morning (as of 10am).

But, they’ve painted lines on the road from 11th St to 15th st. I am presuming they still have to install some plastic bollards or some other form of physical separation before it’s open to use. I couldn’t see any physical separation yet in place.

RichieRich
    Participant

Winter tires… on the old BC website there were extensive discussions on the topic… sadly gone now??

I’ve never taken the time to “bed in” any winter tire… don’t think I’ve lost any studs over ~15years of winter riding either and I’ve had everything from cheapo crap studded to 45Nrth and Schwalbe’s.

For front tire… I highly recommend full studs… meaning that the tire sides lugs and center have studs. None of this partially studded for the front. Over many many different tires my all time favorite has been the 45Nrth Gravdal. Expensive though. But bulletproof. I think they’re 40mm, but 700c. The Schwalbe snow stud on the rear tire has been my go-to now for about 5years.

Of course having 2 wheelsets for my commuter helps… relatively quick change in the morning when needed, or if unsure just put the front studded on and keep running the regular rear as long as reasonable.

xcrider
    Participant

Two near misses yesterday on my salmon commute (upstream of the core commute) both caused by speed merchants that don’t know what the little levers attached to the thingy’s on their wheels. My advise is learn how to ride in a respectful manor to all path users as a combined 50KPH collision of bodies is not how I want to end my commute.

Oh and I might as well slag the Blinking headlights at the same time, fack they are annoying!

2wheeler
    Participant

I ran into, literally, one of those electric skateboards the other day. He came around a corner towards me in my lane. He saw me but couldn’t turn the board as he was obviously new to the device. We came to a screeching halt in front of one another. I had no words to share.

crivak
    Participant

Interesting. Your experience with the Gravdal is opposite mine. It’s the only tire I’ve ever had a flat with in five years. The marathon pluses were bombproof, though…
    Perhaps I should give the 45NRTH another shot.

Cold and rainy, but this is the golden season for sure. Lots of good yellows and oranges.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.