How was your ride today – Spring 2020

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    2wheeler
    Participant

It seems cycling in Calgary has taken off! The pathway infrastructure is certainly strained to fit all the people out do their thing. I’ve been heading to the little used pathways within the city and avoiding the Bow River downtown, and Glenmore Reservoir. Nose creek has been busy but still good for riding and the Canal pathways will certainly live for ever in obscurity. Where are you riding?

RichieRich
    Participant

Yesterday I had my first-of-2020 annual spotting of the naive backwards-helmet wearer. I even stopped them and told them but they said “I know” and then kept going. Pretty funny. wow.

So so many “new” or “newbie” or novice riders out there. Kids and adults alike. Rather chaotic. People need to just calm down. It’s not reasonable for that many walkers to all have spatial awareness nor move as a coordinated group when some cyclist comes roaring down the path. So on that note… consider riding outside of the core and central path areas. Oddly enough Google Maps allows you to select a layer that shows Calgary bike paths – so use that to explore other areas including neighborhoods and such.

As a keen roadie, there are also a lot of decent and safe roads outside of Calgary. I’ve been re-exploring a bunch in the north and west of Calgary as well as around Springbank areas.

Also riding earlier in the day makes a huge difference in conflict avoidance.

crivak
    Participant

Still hiding in my bunker. Mainly because I want the bike shop to handle removing my gnarly winter tires/new ones. I’ll be the one riding my double studded tires in August whenever I get around to making that happen. Haha.

Glad to hear cycling is going big right now. Hopefully something good comes of it.

2wheeler
    Participant

Bike shops are open, if that’s what you’re looking for. I was perusing a new bike on the weekend. No commitments yet.

gyrospanner
    Participant

I’ve been going out early in the morning and riding up OBCR (which usually means I have to visit Eastlands as well) or to the top of Top Hill (behind the Y in Royal Oak) or even out to Burma Road and Bearspaw hills. All those are scratching at or over 1,300 meters, so I’m doing more climbing on these trips than what I was doing when commuting downtown. When I have been out in the afternoon, like to run an errand or something, I try to stick to the roads as there seems to be a high ratio of unpredictable riders on the Pathways (like everyday is Saturday? Or What?).

I like it in the morning when I can just “get out there,” its probably one of the biggest things that’s helping me keep my sanity these days, as the days just seem to blend together when you’re under lockdown ….

crivak
    Participant

Not looking for a bike shop 2wheeler; I know they’ve been open as essential service. It’s on my ebike and for some reason nobody wants to touch the stromer even just for tires so I’ve got to take it down all the way to MEC. Wasn’t a fan of my last summer tires on it either so still humming and hawing if I want to order new ones. My Kona is ready to go though. Just bunker hidin’.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.