This topic contains 25 replies, has 11 voices, and was last updated by  kerryv 4 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Author

RichieRich
    Participant

Summer tires?? you’re tempting fate just talking about it!!
    I’ve gone as late as end April with the studded tires… and often felt like a fool EXCEPT for those inevitable hard freeze, frost, snow, meltwater days…. but gotta admit, it’s surprisingly dry out there right now.

winterrider
    Participant

I’m still on the winter bike, with winter tires.

I’m still seeing massive piles of salt on the cycle tracks downtown, so the summer bike will stay in the garage until I think the salt is all gone.

So for the time being, I still get the extra workout that comes from those big clunky tires!

RichieRich
    Participant

Another comment about the Sien Lok Park that Gyrospanner mentioned above… gotta say that the new lights are really great in terms of being able to safely cross and not feel like I’m running the gauntlet. Only problem is they didn’t align the path with the crossing very well in terms of cyclists… but it is somewhat manageable. I just hope they fix that 25meter stretch of sidewalk to the west to make it work better.

Moreso I’m concerned about this summers pathway closures near and around downtown, north and south sides. Seems to be a new interactive type of map here: http://www.calgary.ca/CSPS/Parks/Pages/Pathways/Pathway-closures.aspx

gyrospanner
    Participant

I’m still puzzlin’ out over what is going to happen along Memorial Next Week? I’ve seen the signs over the last 2 days that say “… closed Apr.1 to Apr. 20 9:00 am to 7:00 pm -check at Calgary.ca,” but when I did yesterday, it only mentioned 4 days in 2 different locations. Today, it shows NOTHING!

It would be nicer to have the old system back, so I could plan my detour in advance, SSSIIGGHHHHHHHH….

bike-run
    Participant

Yeah yesterday I think there was a closure near 10st but today only this one is showing (east of Peace bridge):
    BOW RIVER PATHWAY – MEMORIAL DR. NW & 7 ST. NW
    Purpose Closed for borehole testing along the Bow River. Work will be phased, and pathways will be closed from 9:00AM – 7:00 PM
    Start Date 4/1/2019, 12:00 AM
    End Date 4/7/2019, 12:00 AM

• This reply was modified 4 months, 2 weeks ago by  bike-run.
    • This reply was modified 4 months, 2 weeks ago by  bike-run.

gyrospanner
    Participant

Well, that’s easy to get around.

This article is much more depressing (I’m gonna’ make a T-shirt that says “Not Fully Human!”)

Over half of drivers don’t think of cyclists as fully human leading to aggression on the road

Gary Millard
    Keymaster

The City of Calgary has done a great job of improving their pathway detours, and are now following a standard process of early notification, signage that can be read from a bike, and timing that minimizes disruption. Keep an eye on our news posts on the front page of the website for an article about this.

The map on the City’s web page does state that the work will end on April 7th, while the signs on the pathway say the detours will be in place from April 1st to April 20th. Perhaps there is a second phase of work that isn’t on the website yet. Things are getting better, but so often there is still room for improvement!
    Memorial detour 1

Memorial detour 2

bike-run
    Participant

how muddy/icy is Quarry Trail?

bike-run
    Participant

rode up Quarry Trail this afternoon – some muddy spots but passable and not too soft.

RichieRich
    Participant

If it snows blame me… I traded in my studded tires for the ‘cross wheelset yesterday. So nice… quiet… easier to spin up and hold speed too. Gotta wonder how long until some of this gravel is swept up – sure has copious amounts in some areas. Was also wondering about Quarry Park… don’t want to dirty my freshly cleaned shiny commuter.

Also… any intel on Nosecreek? Any ice between say the Zoo and Beddington? What about between Beddington and Edgemont area? Thinking I need to start adding some km’s and fitness build by way of a longer commute home.

Lastly… already more folks on the paths, many without lights. Am thinking it’s still too early to be putting about the lights.

kerryv
    Participant

Also… any intel on Nosecreek? Any ice between say the Zoo and Beddington? What about between Beddington and Edgemont area?

Forgot to comment. Rode Nose Creek from the Zoo to Beddington/Country Hills on Friday. No sign of snow or ice at all. Unlikely that there’s ice anywhere on that side of town.

Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.