How was your ride today? Month of May 2019

This topic contains 18 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  crivak 1 day, 1 hour ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author

Gary Millard
    Keymaster

Well, the very start of May wasn’t great, but the forecast is looking better. Let’s hope we get some decent spring weather, with less snow!

Dionysis
    Participant

Hey, has anyone ridden the south pathway between Edworthy and Crowchild Tr.? I was just wondering if the “mini glacier” has been cleared and what condition the pathway itself is in. That and the north side really need a good repaving.

gyrospanner
    Participant

I rode through there last week and there was just over 100 feet of “slush on the pack-ice” in the usual spot. Just barely rideable, lots of upper body workout keeping the bike going straight, but no mini crevasses to jump or otherwise deal with. I doubt that it would even get any attention from the City because it should be cleared by itself by now due to the (slightly) warmer weather we’ve been having. Still expect water, however!

Cheers

Dionysis
    Participant

Thanks Gyrospanner. I thought the city or CP would have gone in as they have in the past few years and cleared out the ice. As I only have a road bike with the slick tires, I guess I will just have to be patient.

winterrider
    Participant

I think the City only cleared that last year to make up for having the north side path closed due to construction on Crowchild.

So it’s not normal for them to do this, don’t expect it to happen again…. probably ever.

bike-run
    Participant

update – South pathway ice flow still there as of this morning (Saturday). Mostly soft but there is still a sketchy sloped section of slippy ice.

gyrospanner
    Participant

I think the only time CP goes in there is to maintain the integrity of the rip-rap along the river or clear out the culvert with the prime concern being “Keep the rolling stock on the tracks and outta’ the river.” [Especially those cars full of oil!!] IMO, nobody has really completed a satisfactory amount of repair since the last time they ripped up the path with a bunch of tracked vehicles and the teeth off a heavy loader. I often wonder what type of agreement they have with the City for access to sections like that?

• This reply was modified 1 week, 5 days ago by  gyrospanner.

2wheeler
    Participant

The City had a backhoe out today trying to bash the glacier into submission. Looked to me like the glacier was winning.

gyrospanner
    Participant

Yeah, I rode through there last night and it was all clean of ice, but there was still quite a few muddy spots…..

winterrider
    Participant

Wow, I thought they wouldn’t bother, guess I was wrong on that one!

bike-run
    Participant

Noticed last week the pathway east of the weir (on the north side of the river) has been paved.
    Nice upgrade, since that section often got pretty mucky.

• This reply was modified 6 days, 3 hours ago by  bike-run.

Next
    Participant

how was it paved?
    Quality of paving job on pathways is sometimes so shoddy in Calgary.
    simple – why it is not as smooth as street paving?????
    why City Of Calgary pays contractor for shoddy jobs from our taxes?
    I already complained to 311 with pictures of Quarry Park by the river bumpy 1 year old path.

• This reply was modified 5 days, 1 hour ago by  Next.

bike-run
    Participant

I didn’t look too closely, but it felt pretty smooth and flat.
    Because that section gets flooded/frozen/thawed during the winter, I have no idea how well it will last, depends if they improved the drainage too.

• This reply was modified 4 days, 20 hours ago by  bike-run.

bike-run
    Participant

I headed down to the same area today and the pathway was closed (east of Zoo to Nose creek), so I see now on the City pathway closures page:
    “BOW RIVER PATHWAY – BRIDGELAND – ZOO AREA
    Purpose Closed for installation of an anchor for bouys along the Bow River. Short closure window.
    Start Date 5/21/2019, 12:00 AM
    End Date 5/21/2019, 12:00 AM”

so that’s just today, but there’s also a closure to 17ave:
    “BOW RIVER PATHWAY – DEERFOOT TR. SE – WEIR AREA
    Purpose Closed for annual lifecycle work throughout the park.
    Start Date 5/6/2019, 12:00 AM
    End Date 6/30/2019, 12:00 AM”

crivak
    Participant

Ooh… That’s a long closure. I was hoping to go over that way some time soon as I haven’t explored the east and south areas very much. Maybe I’ll go over just to see how they handle the closures.

Great to see the city cleared out the glacier. I rode through earlier this month and was surprised the glacier was still there, but there was a ton of foot traffic. Lots of walkers, runners, groups of people, strollers, bike commuters… So they probably got enough tickets to warrant bringing in the cat. I wonder if there’s a way we could design this thing better? I know we don’t want the glacier to freeze over the train tracks but I thought that was the purpose of the trench they dug around it. Prior to the pathway being build in the way, anyway. Don’t want to disturb the slope too much though I guess.

Today looks like it’ll be a great day. A bit of reprieve from the rainy season. Then back to the rain! It’s needed at least.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.