This topic contains 27 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by  crivak 2 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 13 posts - 16 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Author

crivak
    Participant

Actually I was interested in another route too. How does a bicycle fare going up to Bearspaw? I’ve been waiting about 5 years for the city to build the Calgary to Cochrane pathway, but now they’ve delayed in order to build the communities over in that area first, so probably another 5 or more years… This pathway would go right by Bearspaw, but how about the current route? What’s the best way? When I pop it into Google Maps for directions it tells me to go along the back way down the TransCanada Highway then hopping over the river. That seems… Weird?

bike-run
    Participant

took a look today – there is signage closing the pathway between the weir (next to Deerfoot Tr overpass) and 17 Avenue.

The pathway between the Zoo and Nose Creek was open, with no signs or barriers in sight, so I assume the work was completed.

Gary Millard
    Keymaster

Hey @crivak, there is a linkage from Calgary to Cochrane through Tuscany, into the Lynx Ridge area (adjacent to Watermark) and into the paved pathways in Glenbow Ranch Provincial Park. It goes through a private tree farm and some dirt track in the CN right-of-way, so the connection is not complete since it goes over private land and it technically trespassing 😉

It is not yet road bike friendly, but a cyclocross can easily handle it – hypothetically speaking.

crivak
    Participant

I’d be looking to go to Bearspaw quite frequently to meet with a client if I pursued that route, so technically trespassing repeatedly sounds a bit risky 😀 Though I wonder if that even bothers me considering this route was penned to be completed in 2019…

Is it this one?

gyrospanner
    Participant

The Air Quality Health Index is forecast to be between 4 and 5 for the next coupla’ days!

Super Sucktacular!

RichieRich
    Participant

Tuesday I passed someone still on studded tires. Isn’t the general rule that it only snows on May long weekend campers?

gyrospanner
    Participant

I declare this morning to be the nicest morning since last summer. Too bad there is smoke!

As for studded tires, I was riding beside a car the other day that still had his on. What the ….

uphill-both-ways
    Participant

It was indeed the best ride of the year. Pathways were pretty quiet too. Studded tires long since given their summer holidays, although I did hear a pair of them on Tuesday.

uphill-both-ways
    Participant

But 24 hours later, I am taking the bus. If I wanted this much smoke, I would have bought a pipe.

Gary Millard
    Keymaster

The worst part of this air quality is that you still breathe it in a car, bus, non-AC indoors…

I find the parts of the pathways through trees and along the river to actually be better air quality. A gentle ride, avoiding deep breathing, seems to be nicer than being stuck in a car or bus.

crivak
    Participant

It was nice today. Air quality seemed much better. Poked around a bit in the NW after their revamps to the bowmont area and along stoney. Very impressed with their work there and the detours they have in place.

The waters by where people used to wade is back up to normal levels, and even has quite a strong current. No more calm water there, but saw some casual kayakers and rafters enjoying the alternative route from the river. Hopefully this helps the fish like they intended.

The detour setup around Stoney was also very well done. Instead of some weird round about they repaved an entirely new pathway right off from the detour point that just wraps around the other side of the bridge.

They even went so far as to separate it from traffic once it got to the road with large cement blocks. It’s better done than some cycle tracks!

RichieRich
    Participant

Actually myself and quite a few of the folks on a road riding club think the Stoney reroute under the Bow near Tuscany was rather poorly done. literally quadrupled (probably more) the length of path that was there before. Oddly done. In any case it’s open and being used and for that I’m thankful.

crivak
    Participant

Really, are we talking about the same location? The detour route is almost identical to the actual path at this location, except it wraps under the bridges underpass. It’s definitely an improvement over going back through all of Bowmont to go up Nose Hill like they’d have done in the past…

Viewing 13 posts - 16 through 28 (of 28 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.