How was your ride today? Month of NOVEMBER 2018

This topic contains 49 replies, has 13 voices, and was last updated by  bike-run 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 50 total)
  • Author

bclark

So I’ll give it a go and create this month’s forum. It’s been pretty dark out their in the mornings lately and temperatures, though not bad lately, look like they’ll drop a bit in the next few weeks so consider getting those studded tires back on as there’s also some snow in the forecast.

How are the pathways? Any progress on sections reopening?

Have people caught any glimpses of the new LimeBikes around the city? Has anyone tried one?

RichieRich
    Participant

Bike lights – not optional really. But apparently to some. Problem is the people who don’t have lights say they don’t need them to see, not realizing they’re causing danger to all oncomers not just themselves. Not so mention if on the roads they’re virtually invisible. Do yourselves a favor and pack 2-3 lights for each of front and back. They don’t all need to be on, but backups are very useful when batteries die.

Tires – yeah, studded in front helps A LOT. That said I commuted for ~5years on a 2.2″ MTB just with lower pressure and that worked pretty good actually. Some of the newer compounds and tires treads are much better.

Paths – sigh…. (‘nuf said!!). That danged Crowchild closure is a real beeeeeatch. As is the south side water trickle that freezes every night. A work collegue took a good tumble there recently on their road bike.

Gary Millard
    Keymaster

And now don’t forget to make sure you’ve got charged lights/batteries for the ride home, since that sunset is now about 5pm.

The detour on the north side of the river pathway is better now that they have opened the pathway from the ped bridge to 14 St NW. It’s pretty straightforward once you know the route, or can follow other cyclists (and there are plenty every morning, still). That said, it’s a shame the best thing to do is follow someone else, and not have enough signage to really know where to go on your own.

And stay warm and upright – it looks like we are going to be entering early winter again this week.

2wheeler
    Participant

I saw those Lime bikes all over the Beltline last night. The people I saw riding them didn’t have lights! I would think with a 2 kg battery strapped to back of a bike you’d think a light would be standard kit? I wish them well but have a hard time believing they won’t get trashed in a couple of months.

Keeping with the soft Cyclocross tires and gentle riding to handle the snow. With good pathway maintenance that set-up works best for me. I have studs on my old MTB that I’ll take when everything goes to hell.

bclark

Managed to get the studded tires on Sunday evening. Always a bit of an odd sensation on the first few minutes of a ride, particularly given the front one is a new one! Hoping the roads aren’t too bad tomorrow, particularly the side roads, as they are my alternative during the pathway closures.

On the LimeBike topic, I wasn’t aware they don’t have lights?! For anyone interested that doesn’t follow Tom Babin’s Shifter Site, Tom did a bit of a blurb on some of the challenges they might face (it also contains some useful info on how to use the system).

Two things holding back Calgary’s new e-bike-sharing system

I’ve decided that, from now on, I’m going to run all my lights on solid mode. I’ve been doing this for a few years now with the front, but I think I’ll stick to it for the back lights too.

2wheeler
    Participant

What’s motivated your change to solid vs. flash? I’ve always been a believer in flashing rear light on the roads and only use a flashing front light if it’s a very low powered light (i.e. turtle light)

bclark

I’m running two Planet Bike superflash (I think they are superflash anyway) on the back. They are pretty bright and I noticed a fair bit of bike traffic this year, so didn’t want to overwhelm anyone behind me, particularly on the pathways, but also at stops on the cycle tracks and bike lanes. I think the solid still gives pretty good light with the both combined.

On the front I’ve got matching Niterider Lumina lights and they don’t have a really low setting, so I think flash mode would be really annoying, both to oncoming traffic, but also for me (might remind me of an ’80’s dance!).

We’ll see how it goes on the back. It seems the flash mode does give a bit more battery life, so may switch back, or just recharge the batteries more often.

xcrider
    Participant

Is there a Buy and Sell on the new forums? I want to list a set of Schwalbe Winter 700×30 studded tires. Moving up to a larger size of Marathon Winters.

Great ride on river path this morning. The South Side Glacier is deadly.

Gary Millard
    Keymaster

Thanks for going with the steady front white light – I find a lot of the new powerful lights can be troublesome on flash. I don’t mind flashing turtle lights or similar low intensity lights, but the really bright ones can be blinding on flash mode.

I haven’t found blinking tail lights to be too much of a problem, but I agree that as they get brighter, they are less comfortable to ride behind. I appreciate that you think about the riders around you as you consider what to do with you lights. Let’s hope that kind of consideration spreads!

Gary Millard
    Keymaster

Hey @xcrider, I’ve activated the Buy and Sell forum (it had been created, but wasn’t showing up). You should be able to post on it now. Thanks for the feedback!

crivak
    Participant

I’ve always prefered a solid light both up front and in the rear. But I’ve considered the usefulness of a second blinky. Unfortunately I never got a proper rear mount for my single speed so I’ve had to mount it to my bag. Definitely wouldn’t consider blinking that at people close to eye level.

I haven’t bothered trying the north pathway detour at all. I’ve stuck entirely to edworthy. With the snow now, is the north side worth it? Let’s say you don’t ride at a time where other commuters would be out and about to follow… Got a map for the new route?

crivak
    Participant

Took the north detour on the way home tonight. Have to say, not impressed. Figured by now it’d be ironed out. The directions actually point you down an alley, across a sidewalk culdesac with no ramp, and down a street without snow clearing. 0/10, F-, beyond mediocre.

• This reply was modified 1 month ago by  crivak.

gyrospanner
    Participant

The consensus around the office amongst all the guys I know that have been taking that north-side detour

was

“it’s not that bad,” but

now it’ s

“I’m tired of this, when is the pathway going to re-open?”

• This reply was modified 1 month ago by  gyrospanner.

bclark

I’ve been fortunate in that I been able to go mostly on-street from Dalhousie to Downtown via Northland, Northmount and 10th Street, so avoiding the river pathway detours. On the positive, it’s shorter. On the negative, there’s more interaction with traffic and, particularly, Northmount can be a pain due to lack of bike accommodation and some of the resulting very questionable passing that occurs. When I do take the pathway though, I find the biggest frustration is crossing Crowchild, due to the wait, then joining back to the pathway via 29th Street as it’s definitely not bike-equitable.

I do wonder, now that the City is proposing improvements to 2nd Street SW, related to paving, for the summer of 2019, if they will also follow-through the Northmount project, particularly given that the supposed reason for breaking it into two phases was that they had insufficient funding? 2nd Street would seem to indicate funding is available for these types of projects.

RichieRich
    Participant

Along Memorial Dr it can be hard to see oncoming riders prior to sunrise or after sunset. The reason being there are a lot of moving VEHICLE lights right next to the MUP that somewhat meanders along. For this reason an oncoming rider having more than 1 light, or even a decent blinky/flash, can be beneficial to help them stand out. Of course for those riders/runners/users without any light source or reflector that’s a whole different level of… er… frustration.

For those riders who like to run with 700lumen plus (or plus plus plus), please be aware of your high/low aim. Regardless of steady or flash mode. And if you come up behind someone and sit on their @$$ it’s quite rude. I *HATE* when “that guy” has such a strong light behind me that my own shadow makes it hard to see my own light. In those cases please pass ASAP, don’t sit there, and when I slow down or even stop peddling it means GTFO my back wheel. Seriously people… be considerate. It’s the equivalent to having a tall SUV with mega lights flooding the inside of your little sedan and rearview mirror.

As for the Crowchild trail crossing… sigh… this is painful. I swear it’s a 5min wait. I was there earlier this week with about FIFTEEN riders. I haven’t seen any workers or equipment on the section of MUP immediately west of the Crowchild Bridge so am struggling to note progress or foresee them opening soon. Anyone have a better idea of their supposed timing for completion? The route through the neighborhood (or along Memorial Dr sidewalks) is rather hit and miss with conditions. Once ridden a time or two it’s easy and not busy with traffic however all those stop signs make for inefficiency.

I tried the south side a couple times this week after following the trails around the closed gates and yeah… that glacier is slowly growing and getting wider and slicker.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 50 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.