Viewing 5 posts - 46 through 50 (of 50 total)
  • Author
    kerryv
    Participant

The fenders are indeed big and I love it!

The brand is Rad Power Bikes. Excellent value…

This evening was my last ride of November, as I have to take the car tomorrow. See you guys in December!

Fuzz
      Participant

Just wondering, this spot here

https://www.google.com/maps/@51.0509633,-114.0809329,3a,75y,171.87h,88.88t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s8TWewrIbAHoaMIr79xNOhA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Coming off the pathway onto the road, are you supposed to stop? I would assume they would have made it a 4-way if that was the intention, no?

Gary Millard
        Keymaster

The intersection of 3rd Ave & 8th St SW was rebuilt a few years ago, and the signage changed. You are correct – it used to have a stop sign for bikes, but it was upgraded to allow free flow east-west (westbound cars can only turn without the stop sign, as they cannot proceed further west). You’ll notice that the stop signs on 8th Street do not include a “4-way” notification. This means they are stop signs on an intersection with free flow traffic in another direction.

Many motorists on 3rd Ave don’t understand that they need to treat this like any other free flow intersection, and yield to cyclists coming eastbound through the intersection. I’ve had a few motorists get upset because they did not understand the rules in that intersection.

This is one of the confusing parts of the proposed transportation bylaw changes – they talk about changing the current requirement to stop when going from a pathway to a roadway to a yield, but there are places where you don’t have to stop or yield. I’m not sure how they are going to deal with this situation, but I think it will be important to do do.

bclark

Can I maybe try to fill in a bit more detail on this?

<Warning: any comments about how certain infrastructure is designated/regulated is only my recollection and should be confirmed with the City>

My recollection is that the City had technically designated a short portion of the pathway leading into and out of the west side of the intersection as “street”, which allowed them to set up the right-of-way as they did, i.e. with bikes not having to stop. That was a number of year’s ago and I believe the requirement for entering a street from a pathway was simply to yield. Of course, one could now say that, since the street designation obviously only extends a set distance from the intersection and beyond that it’s a pathway, a rider should technically stop at wherever the transition is. I know, even more confusing!

There’s also a whole bunch of issues around how pathways and cycle tracks are treated in road right-of-ways in terms of markings, number of lanes and variance of travel directions, etc. For example, every cycle track, except one that I’m aware of, on a one-way street in Calgary is on the left side of the road so that traffic (including bikes) only flows two directions.

I think both these situations illustrate that there’s still a long ways to go with local bylaws, but more specifically the Provincial Traffic Safety Act, to integrate bikes and bike facilities into the streets in a way that not only makes sense, but is supported by regulations and consistent so that all users, cyclists, as well as drivers and pedestrians, easily understand how it works. This is part of the reason completion of the Alberta Bicycle Facility Design Guide is so important.

Regardless of whether one is pro- or anti-bike, it should, through designs and recommended legislative/regulatory changes, help create a framework to make our streets more predictable.

bike-run
            Participant

On my run this morning I found the (north) pathway between Crowchild Tr and 29 St is no longer fenced/barricaded off! (the concrete barriers at 29 St are gone)

There is rough/rutted ice in spots, but maybe the City will clear the ice before the Monday commute?

Viewing 5 posts - 46 through 50 (of 50 total)
            • The topic ‘How was your ride today? Month of NOVEMBER 2018’ is closed to new replies.