Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 50 total)
  • Author
    xcrider
    Participant

The other place lights get hidden is on the Bike Path between Peace Bridge and Eau Claire as the low column lighting beside the trail is the same height as a bicycle light.

gyrospanner
    Participant

I actually find the lighting in that area to be kind of annoying, it’s kinda’ hard to see in there because those lights sort of wash out all the detail.

Charlie
    Participant

I tried Limebike last week at night. The bike I was riding had both front and rear lights. The front sits under the basket. So, it worked well for me for a short trip.

RichieRich
    Participant

Dagnabbit the weird online ‘bots have attacked the BC forums!! eeeek.
    Hopefully this can be defended against cos Mr.ZZZZ..456 is a real PIA.

Gary Millard
    Keymaster

Thanks for your concern @RichieRich! Mr.ZZZZ..456 has been blocked, and the annoying posts deleted. WordPress seems to do a pretty good job of capturing most of this sort of spam, but that stuff got through. I’m trying to keep an eye on the site, but if you see problematic posts in the future, don’t hesitate to send an email to admin@bikecalgary.org and we will get someone on it right away. Cheers!

kerryv
    Participant

It was pretty slippery this morning, but the rest of the week looks nice!

First winter e-bike commute today.

crivak
    Participant

oooh. how was the e-bike? I want a full report on how it does over the winter… keep us up to date. also, pictures 🙂

kerryv
    Participant

It was great, but it was barely a winter day – just really slippery in the morning – good day for the studded tires. I haven’t tried it in snow yet.

Today was one of the days that I was really enjoying the e-bike. The air temperature and road conditions make you think it’s a great day for a bikeride, but man, that wind! I used to be exhausted, starving and grumpy when I got home on days like today. Not today… I can see myself saving a few hundred $$ in gas over the winter with this thing.

I will endeavour to post some photos later in the week!

RichieRich
    Participant

Part rant and part update

Rant: grrrrrr… seen too many running and cycling ninja’s out there sans lights and reflectors. The bikers all seem to have the same attitude problem of “hey I can see you and other stuff” not realizing that nobody can see them to avoid them when it comes to corners, passing, etc…

Rant 2: Crowchild detour. OMG it almost makes me want to ride the south side. I still see riding lights that side so gotta wonder how bad is it? Anyone know?

Rant 3: Bike Calgary forum participation… all time low?

Update: Crowchild bridge and MUP heading west. Still closed but clearly preparing to open soon’ish, whatever that means. They’ve extended the black asphalt on the south side to align the paths. On the north side they’ve been doing some trail cleaning and started taking down some barriers (but leaving some of the critical ones). At the bridge itself there’s still the high fencing, tape, signage etc… Anyone know the ETA on opening?

RichieRich
    Participant

mystery of missing posts… where are they? are others missing too?
    I posted a bit of a rant a couple days ago and it’s not here…

RichieRich
    Participant

nope there it is. AFTER I posted about missing the post. weird. I had even reloaded the page several times.

Consider this another request to for BC to determine if we can see “un-read post” markers like the old web site.

KimG
    Participant

It was great, but it was barely a winter day – just really slippery in the morning – good day for the studded tires. I haven’t tried it in snow yet.

Today was one of the days that I was really enjoying the e-bike. The air temperature and road conditions make you think it’s a great day for a bikeride, but man, that wind! I used to be exhausted, starving and grumpy when I got home on days like today. Not today…

Well put! I’ve got a new e-bike as well and it’s making such a difference. I’m enjoying not being a limp dishrag all the time. (Health issue took me off my bike a couple of years ago, after a decade of year-round commuting)

I have a Schwalbe Marathon Winter 29 x 2.0″ on my front wheel, and I am really happy with the handling, even in the sloppy conditions this morning. The sheer weight of the e-bike, as well as its long wheelbase and low center of mass (mid mount Bosch drive) keep it very stable. I slid out a couple of times last night in the fresh snow, but actually less than when I was running 2 studded tires on a mid 80s mountain bike.

Have you been out in the snow yet?

crivak
    Participant

Your post never disappeared for me :O I saw it at work the past few days. What sort of browser you using? I wonder if it had a caching error. If it happens again instead of reloading the page normally try reloading it with ctrl+f5 (this forces a cache refresh).

Running and cycling ninjas: actually down in terms of raw count! The first year I was riding I never saw a pedestrian with lights. I’ve seen a lot more this year and it’s awesome. Hopefully it catches on even more.

Crowchild: I hear you. Decided Thursday I’d ride the south side Friday to see how bad it was, but then it snowed. So decided not to since the ice would’ve been hidden. On November 9th it was pretty bad (and ‘officially’ closed, with the gates down and a notice online). The waterfall had frozen slick glace ice over a large portion. Another fellow fell as I was crossing. We had that period of 10 degrees between then and now, but Edworthy is shaded so I really doubt it melted to a usable amount. I have a video I can edit if you’d like but I’m muttering nonsense to myself the whole time. Here’s some pictures instead.

Remember, these were on November 9th. After yesterday’s snowfall I can’t recommend Edworthy, I doubt it’s any good. Especially next week when it pops over freezing again, since it will all ice up.
    For me I made peace with the Crowchild detour by popping an earbud into one ear. Last night I went through the entire “Sound of Silence” version from Disturbed waiting for one light cycle.

Bike Calgary: The site was offline and unstable for a really long time. It’ll take time for people to come back to it 🙂 So long as a few people keep posting the others will eventually creep on in. Maybe invite some folks on twitter back over to post their “winter essentials” lists somewhere.

crivak
    Participant

Oh. And there was a lot of traffic out there for my ride home last night.

Just kidding, it was peaceful and quiet. I like winter. (I’ll like it more when it’s all on pathways again; hint hint nudge nudge city workers)

I’ve got a new e-bike as well and it’s making such a difference.

Oooh. You know what I’m going to say already, don’t you? Let’s see the new e-bike 😀

bclark

To RichieRich’s rant(s).

Rant 1: I’m not on the pathways much, so I haven’t had the lack of light experience. I think now that there’s some snow, it’ll at least help with the ambient light so that seeing people is easier.

Rant 2: I was stuck at Crow/Kensington the other day and it seemed everyone either assumed the people already there had pressed the walk button or figured it was an automatic walk signal. We almost had to wait an extra full light signal! Everyone eventually just chanced it, which led to some honking. Such poor planning and execution by the City for such a popular route detour.

Rant 3: Participation? Seems to be similar to levels in the past few months or year. Not that that’s a good thing. Definitely is good to see more dialogue than less.

A while back I said I’d switched to running solid on the back as well as front. I found that I was running through battery power really fast on the back lights so I’m probably going to run flashing mode again…maybe…

My rants:

Motorists on Northmount. Some are great, but there’s way too many that seem to think passing into opposing traffic or squeezing by as I’m riding past a line of parked cars is a good idea. I’ve seen more than a few near head-on collisions, particularly at intersections when someone is turning onto Northmount opposite direction to the driver passing me. I’m not going to ride in the door zone when passing parked cars, so there’s not enough room to pass in the same lane and moving over to pass in the opposing lane, while nice to have the space, isn’t very safe when part of the pass occurs in an intersection. I will move into the parking lane when it’s empty for a ways, so lots of opportunity for people to pass then.

Snow Clearing. None of the pathways in my neighbourhood had been cleared as of mid-afternoon, even though there’s huge foot traffic. Closer to downtown, I noticed the pathways were cleared along the river and on the north side of Crowchild detour, but the overpass near 19th Street NW had not been touched. Can anyone point to a roadway that’s cleared up to a bridge on either side, but the bridge left covered in snow?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 50 total)
  • The topic ‘How was your ride today? Month of NOVEMBER 2018’ is closed to new replies.